Follow the ride. Join the fight!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

WE MADE IT!!!


Today we rode over Bear Tooth Pass. Just a foot or so under 11,000 feet. We started in Cooke City, Montana, dropped back down into Wyoming for a ways, then rode 37 miles UP to the pass, some of which was 6-8% grades. If it sounds like I'm bragging a bit, I probably am. None of us can quite believe we did it. But tonight we are safe and sound in our RV a few miles outside of Red Lodge, MT. And yes, it is raining again, but we didn't ride in rain today.

At one point in the ride I looked up and could see the switch-backs up as far as I could see. I decided that it was not a good idea to look up. It was simply overwhelming. How could I possible make it up this damnable hill. But then I looked down and the pavement was moving below me, and the scenery to the side continued to astound me. (See the picture). From that point on I would pick a spot, maybe 50 yards away, and say to myself...I can make it to that spot...and then I would be there, and pick another spot.

One day at a time...One foot at a time...we live our lives in the present only...in very small increments. If we try to take on the whole thing, all at once, we are often simply overwhelmed. I made it up the hill one pedal stroke at a time. It was a good reminder of how to live the rest of my life.

The 37 miles up were followed by about 35 miles down the other side. Fast, steep, cold, with switchbacks all the way to the bottom. Scary, fund fast and exciting. Glad to get down safely...and into camp for another night of rest.

Tomorrow we ride about 60 miles up to Billings. We are out of the mountains and into the plains. It will be warmer (we hope) and certainly flatter. Monday we take a day off to rest and take care of some personal matters (like getting a hair cut and getting some work done on my bike.

Tomorrow I want to write about my bike. We've developed quite and affection for one another, and it is time you got to know old 520 better.

1 comment:

  1. Rich this picture makes me kick myself for not going along. Keep up the excellent riding. Now I know I need to ride next summer.

    ReplyDelete