Follow the ride. Join the fight!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Angels Unaware


Today, meet Ben. He's my latest "angel". Here's the deal. Yesterday at the end of the day our bikes were an absolute disaster. Grit and grime from a day of riding in the rain covered every part of our bicycles. In fact the grit on the rims works like sandpaper against the brakes shoes and ours were worn down to almost nothing.

Because the weather was continuing to be very cold and rainy, we decided to make this a zero day and rest our weary bodies. What I didn't know is how we would get our bikes ready to ride again. Here's where our newest angel comes in. I noticed this morning that the KOA that we are in rents bikes. I asked at the front desk this morning if they might have some brake pads I could buy to put on my bike. She wasn't sure, but told me that Ben ran the shop and that he was there right then. I stopped by Ben's shop on the way back to the motor home. He could not have been more friendly.

"Come on back, put your bike up on the stand, clean it up, do whatever you need to do...you can use my tools, etc. etc." I couldn't believe it. What's more, his shop was heated. I was back in 15 minutes and spent the rest of the morning cleaning, adjusting, and replacing worn parts. Joe showed up a few minutes later and used the second stand to clean and adjust his bike. We both left feeling like we were much better prepared to continue the Ride Against Hunger on Sunday.

We simply could not be doing this ride without these "angels" that keep showing up to provide exactly what we need with grace and kindness. And that's what Catholic Charities and the South Sacramento Interfaith Partnership tries to do for families needing food...to be an angel for someone in need. You can be an angel for one of these two organizations...it's called "angel work."

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've had the weather...in contrast to what Jimmy Buffett said...."Take the weather with you"...I think you'd probably like to leave the weather that has been traveling with you...
    Ride on,
    gerry and rosie

    ReplyDelete