Follow the ride. Join the fight!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Summits


Riding Day 9. June 4, 2010
Eureka to Ely, NV--80 miles

This evening my riding buddy, Joe, was confessing that his photography had become pretty boring. Three of the four pictures he took today were of Summit Signs. As I looked through my pictures, I had the same three pictures. But before you give up on this entry and find something more interesting to read, let me try to explain why summits become so important to us.

Today, we went over three very significant mountains. One of them meant that we rode for 16 miles up and almost two hours before going over the summit and then holding on for dear life as we rode down the other side. But after riding (really almost grinding) up 16 miles at 4-8 miles per hour, when we see one of those little signs, it becomes a REAL BIG DEAL. "We made it!" "Another one in the books!" Clapping, high fives, and a genuine sense of accomplishment surrounds these photographs. You don't see all that, but we do. So, if you see more than your fair share of Summit Signs...that's why.

But in this picture there is more. Behind the sign you find still another symbol of pure joy for us. When we arrived at the top our support team was waiting for us with fresh water, ice, and more high fives. The picture of my wife Cindy and Kathy Ossmann (along with rider Joe) was taken near that sign. It doesn't get any better than this!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rich, Just wanted to tell you I love you and I am so proud of you--and your beautiful wife and all your friends I don't even know!! I think of you and pray for you many times each day. Today I was praying for strength, safety, etc. and it came to me that I should pray that each of you would have an abundance of the fruits of the spirit--love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. I'm praying that for you today and I believe God will give you a wonderful day--before your day of rest tomorrow. I love you--and Saint Cindy. Karen

    ReplyDelete