Follow the ride. Join the fight!

Monday, June 21, 2010

The Good Old TREK 520



Today was a zero day (although Cindy and I did put in about 15 miles riding around Billings looking for tornado damage--yes, for the first time in 50 years they had a tornado here in Billings).

We rested today. We arrived in Billings around noon yesterday (Sunday) and took some time to clean and adjust the machine that has now carried me almost 1500 miles. I said in my last Blog entry that I have grown quite fond of the old TREK 520 that has not even had a flat tire yet. (Hear loud knocking on wood, please!).

The history, as close as I can find it on the web is that in 1976, the 200th anniversary of our nation, a whole bunch of crazy people decided to ride their bikes across the U.S. It was called Bike Centennial and in fact an organization now called Adventure Cycling was hatched as a result of this new interest. The bikes people were riding at that point were simply not made for the kind of cross county, loaded touring that people were doing. So TREK, a relatively new company in Wisconsin, decided to build a bike make for these kinds of trips.

In 1983 the bike I am riding first showed up in the TREK catalogue. It cost about 500 dollars (a lot in those days), but had a number of attributes that made it long-mile road worthy. For one thing they lengthened the frame so that the riders heals would not be hitting the saddle bags (panniers). They strengthened the frame. It is heavier than its faster, racier brothers and sisters, but it must be stronger to carry the loads. It was given stronger wheels and more and easier gears so the rider could go up 37 mile mountain climbs like we did on Saturday.

So that brings me to my TREK 520. It was made in 1983, one of the first ever built. The other day as we were waiting for the icy road to open, we saw a rider who got all excited about my bike because he had one just like it (at home since he was riding his "newer" bike). I bought this bike about six months ago on e-Bay from a guy in Florida for 200 dollars...and then completely rebuilt most of the parts. It has different handle bars (wider), seat (a wonderful old fashioned leather Brooks saddle), wheels, tires, etc. etc. I have it dialed in really well for me...it simply fits wonderfully. Most of my body does not hurt at all while I am riding, including my rear end. I have continuing issues with lower back pain, but that was happening long before this bike ride started.

It is not pretty. But it works like a dream, and I love getting on it every morning for the days TREK. Tomorrow we will go almost 100 miles from Billings to Winnett, Montana. Look out North Dakota, here we come!

1 comment:

  1. Still following your ride, Rich. The 37 miles up sounded so overwhelming. Is there a longer hill on the planet?

    I'm keeping your tradition of riding my age in miles and went 50 on my 50th with Tom last Saturday. DC weather: hot, humid, but when you're on the bike, nothing feels better.

    It was also a test ride for Tom: I put all Ultegra parts on his 5200. The only thing I couldn't do was get the old bottom bracket off so I went to Arrow bikes and the mechanic remembered when you and I went in for my headset. And he remembered you from not only then, but from when you were still living here. He said you used to come into his shop all the time. Was that the Bicycle Place in downtown Silver Spring? Your legacy grows!

    Love the Trek pics.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete