Follow the ride. Join the fight!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Jackson Hole, Wyoming



Tonight we are smack dab in the middle of one of our most favorite places in the whole world...Jackson, Wyoming. In 2001 Cindy and I rode across the U.S. together on a tandem bike. When we got here, we didn't want to leave. The Grand Teton Mountains are in fact grand, gigantic and beautiful. I am in no way a geologist, but I did pick up a book that described how this area was formed. Evidently, there were huge earth plates running up against each other with enormous force. Finally one of the plates slipped up over the other one and was then pushed up in the air making the huge mountains. The other plate then dropped several hundred feet...and created a hole...now Jackson Hole.

We even rented a car so we can once again drive around to see the moose, elk range, Jenny Lake and other lovely spots around Jackson Hole. We will take the day off tomorrow to have some work done on the motor home while we are enjoying the area.

Today's 70 mile ride from Afton to Jackson, Wyoming was surely one of the ten most beautiful I have ever been on. To enter Jackson, we rode up the Snake River Canyon for nearly 40 miles. The views were just incredible. The picture included in the blog today is of the Snake River taken from the road above. I hope to carry the images from today in my head forever.

So tomorrow we have a day off. I will do some bike cleaning and repair, but mostly be enjoying the incredible beauty of the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole Wyoming. We miss you all and hope you are doing well.

Oh yes, one more thing. the sun shined today...and it did not rain!!!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on reaching this milestone monument. I don't know your exact mileage, but it must be nearing 1500 by now. My legs ache for you. I've been trying to follow your path on Google Earth. It really helps that you give locations and road info every day. I hope you enjoy your day off and get in some great sightseeing. We're off to Mexico this week, and will catch up on your trip when we get back. Roger

    ReplyDelete