Follow the ride. Join the fight!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

True Confessions


A year and a half ago, I would never have considered doing a bike trip across the USA. Not that I wouldn’t have wanted to, but I simply could not have considered it due to the shape I was in. I had eaten myself into about a 285 pound body that simply didn’t work very well. Riding up hills with that much weight is not impossible, but it is punishment for all those extra pieces of pizza, cashew nuts, and donuts.

When I went to my doctor, she told me that I was obese. I thought that was pretty rude, but it was the truth. She told me that I had high blood pressure, that my triglycerides were all out of kilter, and that she would have to put me on some medicines if I didn’t deal with my weight issues.

A friend of ours told us about a twelve step program for people like me…people who don’t seem to have a turn-off switch when it comes to food. So I went to a meeting and decided that it was a program that could help me get a handle on my weight, but also teach me to eat healthier food. So since January of 2009, I have been in this program. I have a sponsor who has been a wonderful help to me in figuring out how much food and what kind of food to eat for good health.

So, now I am a bit under 200 pounds and have been for nearly a year. I feel 100% better and am now able to take on a challenge like a ride across the country and not worry (as much) about having a heart attack along some road some place. I continue to work the program as I ride eating no sugar and no flour. I do eat huge amounts of vegetables and salads, and healthy amounts of proteins and carbohydrates.

Probably because I am in this program and because I was extra heavy a while back, I notice that there are a lot of us are eating too much and carrying a bunch of extra pounds on us, but don’t seem to be able to stop it. I am grateful that I found a way for me to not do that anymore. I don’t believe my solution is necessarily right for everyone, but it has been a godsend for me.

Tonight we are camping on the north shores of Lake Michigan in a delightful little town called Manistique. We rode about 75 miles and have about 90 to do tomorrow to get to Joe Ossmann’s hometown of St. Ignace. They will probably have a huge parade for him as we ride into town.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rich: This is great - very personal and intriguing. Keep up the good life. Carol

    ReplyDelete