Follow the ride. Join the fight!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Brothers and Angels



Tonight we are close to the town of Monacqua, Wisconsin at the Patricia Lake Camp Ground. It is definitely one of the nicest RV Camps in which we have stayed. A huge rainstorm went through at dinner time and we failed to close the window over our bed. I just returned from the laundry drying towels, sheets and pillows. The campsite is clean, quiet, and close to a beautiful little lake (of which there are hundreds, it seems).

We rode over here from Teal Lake (90 miles) where Joe Ossmann's grandfather had established a family cabin back in the early 1930's. Joe's brother, Bob, met us there. Bob lives in a suburb of Chicago and had driven ten hours to welcome us to this family compound full of memories for the "boys". It was fascinating watching Joe and Bob be together. Their laughs were almost identical and the mannerisms clearly are those passed down through generations of Ossmanns. And yet, they are so different in personality and temperament.

Our son Chris is adopted. He lived in Korea for the first five plus years of his life. In spite of our efforts to find family in Korea, that has not happened. Chris tells us that what he misses the most is not being able to look at another human being and see himself, or at least recognize himself in the lives of others. I go home to Nebraska and if my brothers are there, I see my walk, I hear my laugh and my voice, and they are coming out of other human beings. It is a way to be connected that is much deeper than words can say. I belong here...these are my people.

Being with Joe and Bob, I saw once again how important those connections are. From a distance Cindy and I watched and celebrated those blood ties still so very important to these two men. What a privilege.

And speaking of Angels, Bob certainly is one for the record book. He came up early to the cabin and had everything ready for us. He welcomed us, waited at the end of his driveway for who knows how long for us to arrive, drove us around in his shiny red car, and showed us every possible kindness. I am grateful now to know Bob as well as Joe Ossmann.

1 comment:

  1. Rich,

    You are in the land of lakes and some of my ancestors. It's good to hear about Joe and Bob and their family cabin. My uncle who lives in Chicago nowadays had a cabin up on on the numerous lakes in northern Wisconsin. When you see all the granite boulders in the countryside fields, think of the glaciers that moved those boulders around the land back in the "real old" days.

    Marshal McKitrick

    ReplyDelete