Follow the ride. Join the fight!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Two Days Before the Ride Against Hunger

Welcome Friends:

Today is Tuesday, May 25, 2010. Two days from now five old guys like me will dip our wheels in the Pacific Ocean, and start our trek across the U.S. Thanks for joining the ride. This is my first attempt at blogging, so who knows whether anyone will ever see this. My intent with this blog is to share with friends and family what it's like to ride across the United States on a bicycle. Each day I will post a few pictures and try to describe what happened during the day--good, bad, boring or exciting. I'll try to keep it brief so you can check in and not take hours to catch up.

You see from the header that this is a Ride Against Hunger. Two of my passions come together in this ride. First, to call attention to the fact that there are still way too many people who simply do not have enough food to eat to stay healthy. In this Central Valley of California that supplies over a quarter of the table goods found on tables across America, families are suffering from hunger and food insecurity. I will be sharing some reflections on this reality on this blog.

The other passion is being on my bike. I genuinely enjoy biking...and traveling by bicycle is just great fun and true adventure. So the blog will also record what days pedaling a bike feel like.

I'm posting a few pictures from a "shake-down" ride we did a few weeks ago. I'll use the pictures to describe a bit about how we will do the logistics.

Again, welcome to the ride. Get out your bike and ride along!

No comments:

Post a Comment